Thursday, October 26

Aldous Huxley in 1962 talking about today's third leading cause of death in USA: iatrogenesis


Aldous Huxley, author of ‘Brave New World’, gives his speech “The Ultimate Revolution” at Cal Berkeley, 1962.
Aldous Huxley at UC Berkeley 1962 (transcript)
Excerpt:

"And it is of course true that pharmacologists are producing a great many new wonder drugs where the cure is almost worse than the disease. Every year the new edition of medical textbooks contains a longer and longer chapter of what are Iatrogenic diseases, that is to say diseases caused by doctors (laughter} And this is quite true, many of the wonder drugs are extremely dangerous. I mean they can produce extraordinary effects, and in critical conditions they should certainly be used, but they should be used with the utmost caution. But there is evidently a whole class of drugs effecting the CNS which can produce enormous changes in sedation in euphoria in energizing the whole mental process without doing any perceptible harm to the human body, and this presents to me the most extraordinary revolution. In the hands of a dictator these substances in one kind or the other could be used with, first of all, complete harmlessness, and the result would be, you can imagine a euphoric that would make people thoroughly happy even in the most abominable circumstances." (emphasis mine)


This is one topic that I did study a lot and was the reason why I started blogging. My first blog was about it. It still saddens me so much that I rather not touch this subject for a long time.
Maybe when I get older it will be easier for me. Children are being given drugs that will affect their bodies and minds for the rest of their lives.
This is criminal.